Saturday, March 20, 2010

Our favorite eats in Charleston!

So, as I mentioned before, I spent 4 days in Charleston over my spring break, and we spent a majority of the time eating at our favorite restaurants. I thought I would write a post about my favorite places to eat and drink in Charleston (where I lived from August 2008-August 2009). So here goes.

1. Fuel
http://www.fuelcharleston.com/

Fuel is hands down one of our favorite places in Charleston. Its in downtown but not in a touristy area, so it feels more like a local hangout. It is Caribbean-influence food and they have a really diverse menu. My favorites are the Braised Pork Tacos, the Sweet Corn Bisque, and the Chicken Nachos. I've never had a meal at Fuel I didn't love, but those are definiely my favorite menu items. Also, they have the best sweet potato fries in town, making them a must-order side.

2. Moe's Downtown Tavern
http://moestaverns.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-home.cgi?d=crosstown-tavern

Moe's was just as popular a hang out spot for me in Charleston as Fuel was. Moe's Tavern has 2 locations in Charleston, but the downtown location is my favorite. They have a great happy hour with half priced wings, but their burgers are the best thing on the menu (in my opinion). Their BLT Burger is my personal favorite. It's got bacon, mixed greens, pesto mayo, and a fried tomato on top of an delicious burger. We went to Moe's so often that while I was in Charleston this past week, a waitress recognized me a Moe's local while we were at a bar in Folly Beach.

3. Juanita Greenbergs Nacho Royale
http://www.juanitagreenbergs.com/

Now, I really wasn't expecting to visit Juanita Greenbergs this time in Charleston. I havent been too much of a fan of this place, especially after one particularly frustrating night of waiting an hour for a table only to be told to "come back another night." But we decided to have lunch there anyways. Their nachos are their signature dish, but they arent traditional nachos. They are more like a pizza. I got a chicken Nacho Royale, which chicken, black beans, cheese, pico, and lettuce, and it was so good! We also enjoyed some margaritas there too, which were equally delicious. I recommend this place for a nice lunch outside (they have a fantastic outdoor patio in the back.)

4. Tattoed Moose
http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/tattooed-moose-brings-back-the-duck-club/Content?oid=1826817

The Tattoed Moose is a brand new hang out in Charleston that just opened last week. While looking to get some late night food at the Recovery Room, we were told their kitchen was closing and they suggested that we try the Tattoed Moose. The place is small but the waiters/bar tenders were incredibly friendly. Our waiter introduced himself to us and even asked our names. Their signature menu item is their duck club sandwhich, which Amy L. and I split. The sandwich was delicious and one of the best things I ate in Charleston all week. They also fry their fries in duck fat, so it was sort of a duck overload, but totally worth it. This place is a must-visit as far as my Charleston recommendations go.

I'd also like to thank the following bars and restaurants for being equally amazing as I remember them: Johnson's Pub, Big John's Tavern, Wet Willies, ACs Bar and Grill, O Malley's, East Bay Deli, King Street Grille, Vikcerys at Shem Creek, Kudu Coffee (not a bar, but still awesome), and the newcomer Midtown.

No comments:

Post a Comment